Re: Band Camp?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on October 22, 2000 at 11:06:13:

In Reply to: Band Camp? posted by Kento Rei Faun on October 22, 2000 at 09:13:45:

I've only been to band camp maybe three or four times ever, because during the other camps (ten?!? My goodness...) I was off on tour doing a "certain summer youth activity".

My first band camp was definitely the most difficult, especially learning for the first time how to play on the move. I even had a nightmare one night where I was on the rehearsal field and couldn't move my legs! :-) Every band camp after that was a walk in the park, mainly because I was coming off of tour, and could only be annoyed at the woodwinds in back who complained that they haven't gotten a water break in the last hour (neither the tubas nor the drumline ever complained, and we've obviously got the heaviest instruments).

Did I like band camp? In a way, yeah, I did. It was interesting to see some level of cohesion appear by the end of the week, especially considering the wide range of backgrounds the members came from, and how a good number of them have never, ever played while moving. From a section leader standpoint, it's a good time to find out what the year's section likes for motivation (thank goodness tuba players are easily amused...).

Did I regret missing any of them? No, only because of where I was instead. The only problems that ever arose were from the members who hadn't known me and thought I would bring down the quality of the section by showing up late. However, they stopped being worried after they saw me learn both the pregame and halftime shows in one rehearsal -- and still march & play better than they did.

"It ain't braggin' if you've done it."

Follow Ups: