Re: Holton BATS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on October 22, 2000 at 17:12:37:

In Reply to: Holton BATS posted by Tim Jackson on October 22, 2000 at 14:55:36:

I am pretty certain that Holton was makeing some 6/4 BBb tubas long before they started working with Arnold Jacobs to make instruments that were build along the lines of his Yorks. I strongly suspect that they used a lot of their original tooling instead of retooling to match the Yorks, and that's why they are different. My observations in studying the Holtons show that they were very inconsistant in building these horns. Branches are of slightly different lengths from horn to horn etc. The more modern horns seem to have come out with either 20"(19-1/2") or 18" bells. Those older horns had the 22" bells. There is a quirk in the factory horns that the 4th valve tubing seems to be a larger bore size than the valve ports in the piston; not such a great idea. The best way to know how they play is to try them. I have two(CC 4-valves) of them right now. At least one is for sale for $5000. I've been offering it for sale for about a year and only a couple of people have bothered to try them. I suspect the interest in BATS is more talk than reality. If you're close, stop by my studio(Ft. Wayne, IN) and give them a try. I think they play and sound great. You'll be impressed.

Follow Ups: