Re: Tuba Stand for performance, microphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2000 at 01:18:41:

In Reply to: Tuba Stand for performance, microphones posted by Max Tunnell on October 22, 2000 at 20:53:17:

I use a DEG Tuba Rest, and I think it's the best stand out there. It weighs about a pound or two, folds to a package three inches around (except for a 3"x5" cup for the bottom bow) and a little over a foot long, sets up easily, and doesn't constrict the lateral movement of the horn. You still have to hold the horn, but you don't have to hold it *up*. It's more expensive than in ought to be.

An older concept, enjoyed by many, is the K&M stand for performance, which supports the tuba laterally with two large braces. I don't like it as much because it contricts expressive movement of the horn and it's heavy and not very portable. It costs more, too.

I've also used a Stewart Stand, which comprises two strap-mounted clamps on the outer branches that hold a 'cello pin with a rubber-foot attachment. The one I had worked, but still required a compatible chair, was hard to adjust, and ruined the finish on the horn.

I can't help you with microphones--I never have liked the sound of clip-ons.

Rick "resting" Denney

Follow Ups: