Re: Re: Re: Unions, Florida Phil, Seattle Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on October 23, 2000 at 10:14:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Unions, Florida Phil, Seattle Audition posted by Matt Ingman on October 22, 2000 at 23:13:15:

Matt,

If the people in Seattle were AFM members, would they be willing to take bread
off of their OWN families table by refusing recording work ? The people in Seattle MAY NOT get that recording work if they were AFM-affiliates, how would THAT result get THEIR bills paid? Why should the "hard work" of the people in L.A. or New York be more important than the hard work of the people in Seattle??? Nation-wide, is the AFM "really" doing anything to make sure the 50-200 folks in L.A. keep their recording exclusives/residuals? Not. A lot of AFM "members" don't really believe their respective locals, let alone AFM on a national level, are doing ANYthing for them, apart from taking shake-down fees ("dues"), often only because they happen to have a chair at one of the better gigs in town. The union locals generally do nothing to help GET their jobs, and while I may be misinformed the union locals generally do nothing to create the jobs either. Am I the only person who has grown tired of union-talk on a tuba BBS? Believe-you-me, if people really spoke their mind here about such off-scope topics, we'd ALL be wearing more Nomex (and maybe thats why the best commentators here stay out of such non-tuba-related.) Clear-thinking responses (which happen to be non-pro-union) are more subject to flames than St Pete, DCI, or BBflat -vs- CC threads. But, such is life.

Follow Ups: