Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on October 24, 2000 at 12:06:54:

In Reply to: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Gary Press on October 24, 2000 at 10:25:12:

Right on Gary. Here in Cleveland, about the only way you can get in to a Mozart, Bach or Beethoven program is to have a season ticket (unless you don't mind standing). But when they do Webern, Berg and Ligeti, they are giving away tickets with every purchase of a loaf of bread. (Slight exaggeration, but you get the point.) I have a theory: the older the composer, the bluer the hair.

Also, "serious" classical music doesn't seem to attract the crowds that pops concerts do. Remember our days in Rochester? When we played Hindemith, Husa, etc. we got a decent crowd, but the Sousa Spectacular was standing room only. One year, they estimated a crowd of 4000 plus and the Eastman Theatre only has like 3300 seats! I imagine the numbers for symphony orchestras that do pops series look pretty much the same.

So, while you and I want variety, the marketing muckety-mucks know what sells seats and that ultimately (and sadly) is the most important thing.

Bryan

Follow Ups: