Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on October 24, 2000 at 17:39:38:

In Reply to: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Mary Ann on October 24, 2000 at 10:42:59:

Thank You. For every Beethoven symphony, orchestras will have to have two pops concerts. Americans are very touchy when it comes to classical music. Most people I talk to feel that the standard classical musician is a snob and those who listen to it are snobs. We have lost a whole generation to these thoughts. We must start teaching our youth. It starts at home. When I was a kid and my friends came over my Mom always put on classical music. She never preached, just popped it on the turntable. Funny thing is, my friends started to ask questions and buy the music themselves. Most are avid afficiandos now. Educate at every chance. Never tell a kid that this music is better(some of which really isn't, but that is another topic). Kids are alot more adept than we give them credit for. We must educate, but not ram down their throats, our children about this "other" form of music. Orchestras need to be a little bit more eglitarian in their programming. Personally, playing Mahler is a privelege, not a right. You got to pay the bills to play the warhorses.

Follow Ups: