Re: Music and joy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on October 25, 2000 at 01:02:12:

In Reply to: Music and joy posted by Joe Baker on October 24, 2000 at 23:05:59:

That's exactly what kills me about too many performances. There is something to be said for being so good at performing that one can be like a machine, but I've been entertained much better when I can tell that the performer is really expending some effort. SD mentioned professional sports. I appreciate pro sports for the level of execution they can reach. I have more fun watching college sports because they're trying harder, even if it's a bit sloppy.

If people want perfection, they might as well buy a CD. Recordings themselves have furthered this idea of flawless performance by performing that one perfect take exactly the same way every time you press the play button. Why, then, go see people perform when you can't really tell that they're human? Has Edison's invention inadvertently brought about the demise of large ensembles?

Even if the musicians don't look bored by the music, it's when they're simply too haughty and uptight about being professional. Kenton's big band isn't remembered for flawless execution, but stands as a benchmark for highly energetic musicmaking.

Musicians who show no soul are, in my mind, only a beating heart away from a sequencer.

Wow... now I'm rambling.. I might have a more coherent post later on...

Follow Ups: