Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Recital Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 27, 2000 at 08:09:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Recital Question posted by Andy Smith on October 27, 2000 at 07:46:10:

Well, I didn't play a tuba concerto on my senior recital. Of course I played other things like the Kraft. I guess I would suggest that it doesn't matter what you play on your recital as long as you make the kind of music you want to make. In my opinion, a recital at the end of your degree should be like a massive final exam for the four+ years of your study. It should demonstrate most of what you learned in that time. The trick is organizing all that into an entertaining format. Certainly there are choices you could make for other tuba concertos. I just don't think it is an imperative that you play a tuba concerto on your recital. Instead, I'd be looking for an entertaining mix of pieces that were challenging, varied in style and format, and that appeal to your own musical sense. Don't forget that people are going to be in the audience. As long as your teacher agrees that the program is appropriate and meets the school requirements for a senior recital, why not make every attempt to entertain your audience. If you absolutely feel that you can't do that without a tuba concerto, I'd question your assessment of your abilities. There are plenty of great pieces that are not concertos. For me, the object is to make great music, not to be just another tuba player. Be a great musician.

My opinion for what it's worth....

Follow Ups: