Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PT mouthpiece size comparison....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on October 28, 2000 at 00:37:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: PT mouthpiece size comparison.... posted by Todd on October 27, 2000 at 23:12:07:

Ahh.. I see where you are coming from. I would say you are using the wrong style mouthpiece for an F tuba. Try a PT-65 or a Pat Sheridon/Dillon S3 mouthpiece. There are surely several others also to choose from. These mouthpiece are specifically designed with F/Eb tubas in mind. I said the PT-88 is the most popular CC tuba Perantucci mouthpiece. Well, the PT-64 and PT-65 mouthpieces are the most popular F tuba mouthpieces in the Perantucci line.

I used to use a Shilke 67 on my Eb before I sold it and I didn't have the focus in sound and pitch that I was needing. A wise mentor of mine handed me a PT-65S and said to try it. I have since switched to an F tuba and still use the same mouthpiece. I don't know squat about the mechanics of mouthpiece design, but can tell you that the PT-65 is a real winner for me. It has a cushiony rounded rim and a fairly shallow bowl cup leading to a smallish backbore. What does all this mean? Heck if I know, but I really like the results it allows.

I still think a less aggressive human produces a more pleasing musical product, but a more specialized F tuba mouthpiece couldn't hurt either.

sean

Follow Ups: