Re: Comments on Conn 2 ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on October 28, 2000 at 10:09:38:

In Reply to: Comments on Conn 2 ? posted by Jason on October 28, 2000 at 02:09:52:

The Conn 2 was original equipment on the 2XJ series tubas and the 20/24K sousaphones.

The design, which looks like a funnel on the outside, is a style which could best be called "1930's modern." Conn did that to a whole range of mouthpieces in the 30's and so did King (but not for their tuba mouthpieces, interestingly).

The rim is almost a 'cushion' rim, but the cup is the same diameter, depth and shape as the smaller Conn Helleberg mouthpiece, known as the Helleberg 7B.

I have always found the Conn 2 to be the best mouthpiece for me on both 2XJ tubas and my Conn 20K sousaphone -- it just speaks very easily and cleanly, and is very easy in the upper register. I like Helleberg style cups, my main other mouthpiece for both my King BBb and my Yamaha YFB 621 F tuba is a Schilke Helleberg II, which has a very slighly larger rim diameter, and a more typical sharp Helleberg rim, but a smiliar cup interior shape and depth.

Follow Ups: