Re: Re: Re: Re: TWO-TUBA orchestral works

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on October 28, 2000 at 15:01:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: TWO-TUBA orchestral works posted by Richard on October 27, 2000 at 23:12:12:

Richard, I played "Creed" as part of a pick-up orchestra last year. I believe the two movements were titled "Freedom from Want" and some other Freedom. I think I accidently called this piece Testimony. I really disliked the music, it was aimless and over redundant. The tuba/euph parts were interesting. The 4 trombone parts were a little more interesting. I really hated his "When Johnny Comes Marching". I didn't find one salient thought in it. It was good work out on F though. I played all the pieces by Harris on the concert on F. Copland made up the other portions of the concert. Seattle S.O. under Shwartz has recordings out of all Harris'music. I do like Hart-Benton's paintings and agree with you on the Gould. Please take my comments about Harris as my own. He was a very raw, and undereducated musician whose blustery personality is evidenced in his music.There are other American composers who need more exposure. David Diamond wrote wonderful music. One two tuba piece I played many years ago by Copland, "Symphonic Ode" from 1928 is a great piece that is never played anymore. Also, in the Original "Samson and Delilah" Saint-Saens called for two tubas.

Follow Ups: