Re: Straight bells vs.Recording bells?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 31, 2000 at 09:18:54:

In Reply to: Straight bells vs.Recording bells? posted by Joe S. No. 2 on October 31, 2000 at 01:44:47:

In most ensembles, the tuba sound provides a foundational bass for the group. This function is best served when the sound is non-directional, and not from an identifiable point source such as you'd have with trumpets and trombones. For this reason, tubas are pointed up. The point of "up" is that it is away from the audience, so that the sound spills into the audience from many reflective surfaces, and this can be achieved with a forward bell if it is attached at a collar. Just rotate the bell to one side, so that the sound is reflected off the inside of the stage rather than directed to the audience. Of course, with some horns this may require a head-ectomy, but, in my case at least, this would be a distinct improvement anyway.

A forward bell, pointed forward, has its uses. Originally, it was popular for getting more tuba sound into the poor microphones of yesteryear. So, it's useful in any circumstance where the receptor is desensitized to bass sounds for one reason or another. The best example is an outdoor concert, where a bell pointed up has nothing to reflect the sound into the audience. If I'm trying to play a band gig with an understaffed tuba section on an outdoor stage, forward bells seem to me a good idea. That's why I'm glad the forward bell comes with my York, though I haven't gotten it yet (CH: heh, heh).

Rick "better headless" Denney

Follow Ups: