Re: Re: Re: Yamaha sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on October 02, 2001 at 11:43:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Yamaha sousaphones posted by Matt G on October 02, 2001 at 10:19:39:

Your greater experience is informative. Only one really good horn out of 15 doesn't strike me as good odds for a band director buying a bass line, but I'm not surprised there was one horn "almost as good as any Conn" out of the bunch. But, if the price is almost the same, why not get the Conns and expect to have 13-14 very good horns out of 15, maybe two or three exceptional horns, and at most one or two substandard (but probably not hopeless) horns. Between Conns and Kings, I think it's a matter of sound concept, the Conns are bigger, bassier, the Kings more focused, with an almost 'sweet' sound that I also find characteristic of their tubas, in contrast to the bigger sound of the 2XJ Conns.

As to the weight, I've only hefted the horns, rather than put them on a scale, and I don't know the age of the Yamaha our local HS has. But they sure are more uncomfortable than a 20K!! My own 20K lacks the usual pad, and even it is far more comfortable than the Yamaha.

Follow Ups: