Sam Gnagey "King 2341 CC"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on October 05, 2001 at 23:41:22:

Hello List,

I just returned from a visit to Ft. Wayne, IN, to try out a King 2341 BBb and a King 2341 CC at Sam Gnagey's shop. The 2341 BBb was an older one with a detachable bell, and seemed rather like an average school tuba, but it sounded like Sam was going to try to replace the bell to make it a one-piece, to see whether the response improves.

The response of his King CC was VERY nice. The particular horn I tried is a cut down 2341 BBb with an HN White Eb bell (one-piece instrument). It has 4 piston valves only, and the bell was probably 20 inches in diameter -- equivalent to a 4V, .689 bore Conn 56J. Very nice sound, and very easy to play -- for me from the low FF up to about E above middle C (using a large Helleberg mpc). Below the low FF, the response seemed to me to have increased resistance, but I'm not used to playing a CC in this range, or *anything* in this range for that matter.

If I were a CC player looking for a responsive CC with a solid American 4/4 sound that sounds great at pp or ff, at a reasonable price, this one would do *very* nicely. With only 4 valves, it's probably going to be tough to play the low DDb, but for a little more money than the 4 valve tuba sells for, a 5th valve is provided on Sam's 2341 conversions. My quintet would be ecstatic if I had this CC tuba, as would the 14 pc brass choir and the occasional pit orchestras I also play in. I, on the other hand, want to stay with BBb, so I'm on Matt Walter's list at Dillon Music for a new satin silver King 2341, which I'm hoping sounds rather like Sam's 20" bell, .689 bore, 4V CC. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the new King 2341 BBb. Rest assured, I'll let y'all know what I think when it shows up later this fall. 8^D

For more information about a CC conversion, contact "Tubanurse(AT)aol.com".

FYI,

Steve "unpaid endorsement*" Inman
Kokomo, IN

*(well, actually, I did get a bowl of soup for dinner . . . .) ;-)

Follow Ups: