Re: Re: Re: St. Petersburg Rumor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dw on October 09, 2001 at 15:07:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: St. Petersburg Rumor posted by Degustibus non disputandam on October 09, 2001 at 09:23:17:

Interesting how an instrument gets a reputation.

There are some well known and well respected people who have played, and liked the St. Petersburg tubas.

I believe we would all agree that it is inexpensively made and therefore sells for a "fairly" cheap price. Is this all that is wrong with it? Does it truly sound bad? Is the intonation abominable? or does it have to do with something else?

It is just my opinion, but a "good" player can make a "bad" horn sound quite good.

There are many different brands of tubas, German, Russian, English, French, Chinese, Japanese, American and I am sure others. Each of the brands has produced at least one dog but someone bought it and swore it was the best of the best.

If you have money for a Yugo and not the Mercedes, learn to live and love the Yugo.

Does anyone know what Warren Deck was playing when he got the Houston job? It was a Meinl Weston model 30/32 (I don't remember the exact model) 5 valve CC, the standard model. The horn overall, maybe not Warrens', was notorious for playing out of tune and being very stuffy in the low register. Personally I had a model 30, 4 valve of the same horn. It was out of tune, and stuffy in the low register but had a great sound. I learned to live with it.

Rather than bashing a particular horn, how about if we give an opinion of the instrument we currently play and let the person wanting to purchase an instrument the chance to play the horns and pick one for him/her self.

my $.02 worth

Follow Ups: