Re: A little help please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by another jeff..... on October 10, 2001 at 17:25:02:

In Reply to: A little help please! posted by Jeff Perkins on October 10, 2001 at 14:25:21:

Jeff,
Although I have never played a weril this is what i have learned about them. They are a little small. I am in a similar situation as you as I just recently returned to playing after a time off. I am trying to get the money together to buy an older king 2341. They are nice playing horns that can be had for around 2000 dollars. If you are willing to pay a little more for something with rotary valves the tubastore at brookmays in dallas has an f schmidt model that sells for around 2800. It is a renamed VMI and is supposed to be a great deal on a nice german horn. I am staying away from rotary valves cause of the repair and maintence with them. I dont really have much of a budget for a repair of a rotar if one happens to give out.
I would stay away from a used yamaha YBB321 or YBB641. My experience with the 321 is that it is a nice looking horn that the intonation is just murder on. If the slides were in a decent position to be pulled it might make it better but they are not and therefore the intonation is just awful. The 641 is just not a good value for the money. You can buy the new F Schmidt for what a used 641 would cost you and have a new horn.
I hope all this information helps you.
Jeff Hicks

Follow Ups: