Re: changing mouthpiece receivers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 10, 2001 at 20:32:58:

In Reply to: changing mouthpiece receivers posted by Scott on October 10, 2001 at 15:29:17:

Regardless type of brass instrument, I think it would be possible to change the mouthpiece receiver.

But taking an obviously odd sample might illustrate, what I think is the nature of a major underlying problem, that should be avoided.

It is not too uncommon for hornists to want to toy around on a trumpet. They can do so using their own mouthpiece through adapters, that are supplied by a number of makers. I have done a lot of this myself.

If a trumpeter wanted to play the horn through his own trumpet mouthpiece, one could imagine a trumpet receiver mounted on a horn. What I would not like about that, is the fact that the diameter of the open end of the trumpet backbore is considerably larger than the diameter of the open end of the horn leadpipe. Leading to a "reverse" step-bore of the windway. Something I certainly would not like so close to the lips.

Let us take the problem to the euph world. A musician wants to play a US or Japanese type euph with a tenor tromb receiver trough a bass trombone sized mouthpiece.

Technically a bass bone sized receiver could be mounted. But unless I received hard proof in form of exact measurements, that no "reverse" step-bore was introduced through the process, I would not accept such reconstruction of any of my own instruments. And hence I would not be able to recommend such unresearched/unsecured reconstruction to others.

Actually I have 3 instruments with tenor bone sized receivers, that I would like to play on my Yeo Signature bassbone mouthpiece. But the reconstructions would not meet my criteriae, so I play these instruments on a DW 4AY with opened up throat and backbore.

One surely could get customized large mouthpieces with small shanks. Not my way of doing things. I prefer production mouthpieces, that I modify myself.

Klaus

Follow Ups: