Re: Re: Re: Re: opinions on horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kalison Tubist on October 10, 2001 at 23:34:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: opinions on horns posted by Austin H. on October 10, 2001 at 21:58:10:

I have a question for you. Of the "good" Kalisons you played, was the other one new as well? Also, about how old did the bad one look to be? I have a theory that the new Daryl Smith models are improved from the older ones.

I have played many, old and new, and have noticed that there are slight modifications on newer Daryl Smiths that may have improved the horn. They now use new valves, very similar in appearace to Willson vavles, and in my opinion superior to the old style vavles. The ends of the branches going into that vavles on my Kalison are also more rounded as a opposed to the angular style of older Kalisons. Also, the tubing seems a bit more "free" on mine as well. For instance on the older ones I have seen, the third vavle tubing is in one place actually so close to the third vavle it is saudered onto it. Weird! Finally, I think my tuba is a bit smaller at the lead pipe and top bow than the school owned old horns. Perhaps that makes it a bit more responsive. The intonation also seem much more manageable on my horn than on the school horns as well. Everything is pretty in tune except for A on top of the staff (Pull out a lot) and G below the staff (1-3 alternate fingering). The top space g used to be sharp as well but that stopped happening so I must have adapted or something. This is more than I wanted to write, but I really think Kalison has quietly improved on their horn.

I agree that the buyer should definetly play it before purchase. Any manufacturer can come out with a dog at times.

Follow Ups: