Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 things...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 11, 2001 at 07:48:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 things... posted by Rob P-M on October 11, 2001 at 06:39:37:

Basically singing the same song as Rob:

During a clinic held by the then productionmanager of the Boosey&Hawkes/Besson factory back in 1980 or 81 I was told, that brass makers had a so small consumption of brass, that it had formerly been economically impossible for them to specify their own alloys (I positively know, that a decade before Hoyer horns costed 25% extra in gold brass, which was much, as most of the costs were/are related to labour).

Hence brass makers until the growth in the economy and the related refinements in production methods and logistics almost exclusively used the brass alloy, that was intended for the making of the powder containing part of military riffle munition.

That brass alloy differed from country to country according to national specifications. From a metallurgical point of view the absolutely worst standard was the one of the US.

But according to the B&H/B manager, this US alloy was the factor, that made the US brass makers make the best sounding trumpets and trombones.

I think, that one of the factors of change was the inventiveness induced by shortness of materials through WWII.

In 1990 I bought my Conn 26K 3 valve Eb sousa, which is made of very heavy brass sheets back in 1928. I found it a somewhat heavy beast, as I had gotten none of my BBb instruments by then.

On an odd summerday of 1994, when I was out performing on bass bone, baritone, and Eb cornet in 3 different contexts, I came across a post-WWII Conn BBb sousa, not a 20K, but no smallish student model neither. I had not brought my own tuba mouthpiece, so I was not allowed to play it. But I had it on my shoulder. It weighed much less than my 26K Eb.

I can only concur with Rob in his recommendation of the 4 valve older Conn BBb’s, as they, at least the 40K as I know it from ownership and playing, are very gratifying musical tools.

But there is a but. For marching they will not only demand musicianship of they players. Their weight also will call for some huge beasts to carry them.

Klaus

Follow Ups: