Re: Re: Re: Flute to Tuba Converts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on October 11, 2001 at 08:07:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Flute to Tuba Converts posted by Not a flame, but... on October 11, 2001 at 02:01:21:

When I made my switch from bari sax, I didn't worry about note names, on the staff atleast. I related the note name to the fingerings, fingerings to staff and accedentals. Open=Bb=2nd line, or 2nd line=open=Bb. Like that. Worked for me, but everyone is different.
I think that way of thinking has helped my tansition to playing off treble cleft when needed (but still could use some work).
In that same year, With that band I had to play Straus: Kernage March (sp) Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (And the tubas had the fugue theme 3 times, including the upper drone note), and Hindamith: Symophony in Bb. And if you listen to the preformance, you would not believe that the 3 maned tuba section was a beginer, freshman, and sophmore (Playing St Petes at that...my horn was a good excuce not to like rotors for the rest of my life, and I was the 1st to use it). Granted I didn't play the music as well as the other 2, but seeing how it was my first year on tuba (and being only a sax player before that), I think that was pretty damn good.
Just my thoughts
Steve C

Follow Ups: