Re: Re: Re: Re: A Photographic Tuba Comparison

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 16, 2001 at 12:59:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: A Photographic Tuba Comparison posted by Kenneth Sloan on October 16, 2001 at 11:57:26:

Actually, doing the comparison with F tubas didn't cross my mind. It wasn't what I was thinking about at the time. Plus, I didn't want to wear out my welcome at Dillon's, and I thought I was already pushing the limit.

The Russian Fed is not like a St. Pete. It was made back in the late 50's, and is very closely derived (read: copied) from a Leica IIIf, at a time when the USSR was trying to demonstrate the superiority of their system by producing good products even if they had to do so at a loss. You can buy them for about $40, which is about a 15th what a good old Leica would cost, and it works almost as well. Plus, if you break it, you don't cry. The lenses are a bit more expensive, because Leica owners are buying them. The Russians built screw-mount lenses far later than did Leitz, and the lenses are a newer design. But they are still cheap by all objective standards.

So, the little Fed would be like finding a Russian close copy of an Alexander, very solidly made but not as beautiful as the Alex, for about $500 in like-new condition.

Now, the big Ukrainian cameras that I've been using are not as well made. But they function very well when they work. Think St. Petersburg build quality but, say, Meinl-Weston sound quality. And for an equivalent price of $500, brand new.

Yes, I still record images on silver (or, more accurately, dye clouds), but only because the camera with the 56mm square digital sensor with the 100 pixel/millimeter density is not yet available at all, let alone for the tiny price I'm willing to pay. But I no longer make silver prints--after the film gets back from the lab I'm all digital.

Rick "who thinks a new St. Pete for $500 would be a good deal" Denney

Follow Ups: