Re: Re: A Few Good Tuba Players or Too Many?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bruce h on October 19, 2001 at 13:15:41:

In Reply to: Re: A Few Good Tuba Players or Too Many? posted by Rick Denney on October 19, 2001 at 12:27:21:

Ohhh the perils of playing in a community band. I don't have any problems covering a 70 member band but welcome the infrequent players that comes and sits in every once in a while. I will even put up with the trumpet player that decided to switch to tuba 6 months ago and still can't get more than a squeek out of his horn.

The band has been in existence for about 7 years now and is actually quite good. At the urging of several of the better players in the band, the conductor has been picking some more challenging charts the past couple of years. The result is that we have picked up some additional new players from the community and that has made it pretty exciting. For instance we now have a bassoon player. The bassoon is a cool instrument. The only drawback to that is that I no longer get to play the bassoon part.

It is often less hazardous to tiptoe through a mine field than it is to be a section leader in a community band. But we welcome everyone. Afterall, the more players there are in the band means that there are more people in attendance at concerts. And that is a good thing too.

Follow Ups: