Re: Kalison DS vs. 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zac on October 19, 2001 at 23:03:47:

In Reply to: Kalison DS vs. 56J posted by Tim Cary on October 18, 2001 at 10:51:03:

Tim,
I was real interested to see what was to become of your post. I too am thinking of buying a 56J here in the upcoming months. And I was also considering a Kalison too. I know a local tuba prof who just turned in his Kalison for a Meinl Weston 2001 or 2000 I can't remember but it is a great horn. The Kalison worked well for him but he too battled intonation problems. He also tried the 52J when he was shopping but had the same reservations that most people have when the actually see the horn (myslef included) ...that it is too small. I played the one Dick Ackright has here in the bay area and I loved it!!!!! This horn responded so well...the pedal CC just spoke so easy I couldn't believe how easy the low register was to play. Ask anyone who has tried this horn, It is VERY free blowing and open sounding. The intonation was very good..but I will have to admit I didn't get a chance to sit down with a tuner to find out how close or off it really was. The upper register sings very nicely. I have to admit since I played this horn it is all I can think about. I don't know why people are selling their 52's and 56j's back but I would speculate that they are not comfortable with the size of the horn and want something bigger. I also work at a music store and believe me there is nothing that upsets my UMI rep more than when people say that the Conn 52J is not big enough to support a full size orchestra. I have yet to use that horn in that setting but I am looking forward to it. Sorry to see that when you asked to hear opinions about the Conn horns you got nothing but sales pitches for Getzen...How many Getzen reps are there on this board..haha j/k. I thought my little time with the horn might help you before you make your decision.

Zac

Follow Ups: