Re: Intermediate Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on October 25, 2001 at 16:17:06:

In Reply to: Intermediate Tuba posted by Don Hogaboom on October 25, 2001 at 15:46:47:

Miraphone S-186 BBb. Not prohibitively expensive, and I don't think there are many middle schoolers that are going to need any more horn than that.

If not that, the VMI 3301 is similar.

Stay away from St. Petersburgs for middle school / high school use. They're just not durable enough to stand up to the abuse doled out by school-age kids.

I don't know what the price is on the new King 2341's is, but that's a great choice as well.

Before anyone says that these horns are too much for middle schoolers, I will say that the first horn I played in 8th grade was a Conn 20-J, and the next year it was a Yamaha 641, and I was fine with both. My opinion is that if I have to work at it to get a good sound out of a 3/4 sized tuba, why should I expect it to be any easier for a relative newbie to be able to do it? Every student that I've ever had that was sounding bad on a little horn was able to produce a (relatively) much better sound with a bigger (4/4) horn. If the kids are physically able to hold it, that's the way to go, IMHO.

Steve

Follow Ups: