Gronitz F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete on October 26, 2001 at 18:04:57:

Well I walked into a music shop in Yokohama, Japan yesterday that I had not been to before. Sitting up on the 2nd floor in the window was a Gronitz F. It has been in the store for two years so the laquer is in ruff shape. I have been really curious about these horns so I asked to toot on it. My first impression was that this is one of the best sounding F tubas I have ever played. The response in the low range was rock solid and the mid and highs just sing. I was using my Cooley Helleberg which I use on my 822S F but the shank was to large. I am not sure about the horns Tony Clements carries but this one had a small receiver and t caused the horn to have a really flat 4th line F and 3rd space E. They were impossible to play at 442 with the slides all the way in. I tried other mp's and all of them were to large. The price was very nice, almost half price after being there for 2 years and the laquer wearing. I was so tempted to pick it up but with the intonation issue and the fact that I purchased a new 822F less than 6 months ago changed my mind a bit. This one also had the tri tone fifth set up which was a bit odd a first but the notes just popped right out. These Gronitz tubas are definetly no joke guys. They are great horns that should be tried by anyone in the market for a new axe.

Pete

Follow Ups: