Re: Re: Which Helleberg = Benge/Bach 18?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Urbie Watrous on October 26, 2001 at 21:09:47:

In Reply to: Re: Which Helleberg = Benge/Bach 18? posted by Sean Chisham on October 26, 2001 at 14:21:23:

<< That being said, it is also possble that there is a mouthpiece which better matches you, your horn, and your playing situation(s) than your current one. The Bach 18 is a pretty standard mouthpiece and is not a "bad" one by any means. Helleberg is a style of mouthpiece and not a brand. It refers to the general funnel shape of the inside of the mouthpiece. The other general style is a bowl. A common funnel mouthpiece would be the Shilke Helleberg II or the Perantucci PT-50. A common bowl shape would be the PT-88. >>

Thanks for the clarification, Sean -- it's at least somewhat helpful ;-). Being a bit mouthpiece-challenged, I didn't realize Helleberg was a *style* of mouthpiece -- but that information makes the Brasswind listings make more sense. They list Conn, R & S, and Schilke Hellebergs. My teacher had recommended a Conn, but didn't know offhand which one would correspond most closely in size with my Benge 18 (the only tuba mouthpiece I've ever used, at least in the past 18 years). Another tubist I know and trust also recommended the Conns -- but again, not a specific one.

Urbie

Follow Ups: