Re: Late Bloomers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keith C. on October 28, 2001 at 16:36:28:

In Reply to: Late Bloomers posted by Allan on October 28, 2001 at 10:59:48:

I had a 25 year haitus following my highschool band days. A few yaers ago my wife volunteered me for the Xmas play at church which was to have a orchestra in the loft. The music director was a high school music teacher who was kind enough to lend me an old "beater" to practice on. Not only were my chops long gone, but I had completely forgotten all the fingerings. I had to learn the horn all over again from scratch.

After a few years of trying to borrow horns for a community band I had joined, I finally bit the bullet and decided to but a used horn. Not an easy task as it turned out. Tubas were hard to find in Toronto, and it was only be a stroke of good luck that I called a repair shop that had recently aquired a tuba for consigment sale. The horn, a Sonora 4 valve rotary BBb, and I have been happy together ever since.

I am now playing in three community groups. Thats about all I can handle now. I enjoy the playing, but I am accumulating too much music to practice during the week. With Christmas around the corner, I have to be careful that the concerts don't bump into each other.

My only regret about returning to the tuba was that I waited so long to do it. I feel that even with my modest talents, I am a better musician than I was was in my high school era. I keep thinking about what might have been had I not given up playing in 1970. Without a formal education in music, or even piano, a career in music was never in the cards for me. But, given an extra 25 years of practice, who knows??

Because tubas are rare in these parts, there is an ongoing demand for tuba players in community groups. If you have a horn and can draw breath, you've got the gig. I find groups really appreciate anyone who shows up on a regular basis.

My adivice to anyone that is thinking about returning to the tuba is simple...just do it! You will never regret it for an instant.

Follow Ups: