Re: Advice on Manners!!!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve W on October 28, 2001 at 20:43:33:

In Reply to: Advice on Manners!!!!!!!!! posted by B.K. on October 27, 2001 at 21:42:03:

When I was in college, our oboe prof (yes, oboe) would come up to me after every orchestra concert and tell me that I played well. He was a brutaly honest person, so when he said that, he meant it. Only once did he come and tell me "your sound wasn't good tonight, what's wrong?". I knew I didn't play good and just said "I know". I spent the next 6 months looking for another mouthpiece, as instructed by my teacher. Sometimes it depends on what to tell someone. If they're a good friend or trusted teacher, I want honesty. If I played bad, tell me. I'll work on it for next time. If I played on a sub-par recital (could be a bad performance for them) for someone else that's not a good friend, I would thank them for letting me play and tell them anytime they need me, just ask, I'll be there. And like someone said earlier, mean it. You might need them to play for you. Bugging out of recital is not a good thing, unless you have a prior commitment and let them know you'll be leaving early.

Follow Ups: