Re: Questions about Amati ABB 621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 07, 2002 at 14:11:06:

In Reply to: Questions about Amati ABB 621 posted by Dave on October 07, 2002 at 12:50:51:

This model obviously is designed for the US market. From the specs it has reasonable proportions.

And yet I can not eliminate my distrust towards Amati piston valves. A distrust, that has been build over decades of seeing players having problems. I never allowed neither my students nor myself to waste time with such instruments.

Amati have, a few years ago, acquired new technology for their production of piston trumpets. Whether this technology has been applied to their tubas, and whether the instrument, that you have put your eyes on, has piston valves, that are improved over, what I generally have experienced with Amati pistons, is beyond me.

I don't know you, and you may not know me, but this board in general knows, that I am a European with a preference for US instruments, when it comes to BBb basses. Both of mine (and one of my 2 Eb basses) have been imported as second hand instruments from the US.

Within the price frame you have set, it should be very much possible to find a second hand US made BBb that has much better "technology" as well as much more musical potential than even the newest ABB 621 will ever have.

This of course is a highly personal statement. And as I have the BBb basses, that I want for now, I have not scanned the US market recently.

However: with the popularity of the new King BBb bass, there must be some used BBb basses of a relevant quality coming out at the other end of all these deals.

I see, that another poster says, that the Weril is better than the Amati. I agree, when it comes to production quality. Whether you like the smaller proportions of the Weril, is for you to decide.

Klaus

Follow Ups: