Re: Re: Bass Bone Confiq.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on October 08, 2002 at 12:00:41:

In Reply to: Re: Bass Bone Confiq. posted by Marty Neilan on October 07, 2002 at 21:46:50:

I agree with this statement. The G and F bass trombones that are usually found laying around have a more narrow and tinty sound. The bore size and taper of the bore contribute more to the american bass trombone sound, no matter if you are in the bright or dark bass trombone camp.

I listen to older recordings of Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Chicago as they go after some of the darker sounding symphonies. When a g bass or f bass is used, the notes below the staff seem to be too bright for my taste. I appreciate the blend better with a Bb bass with 1 or 2 attachments and a more mellow approach. Not to advocate that a bass trombone should sound like a tenor tuba, but the pre modern horns, at least IMHO, did not blend in the rest of the brass sections. (except for when they are obviously not to blend in).

Some horns today have a marked difference. I found that most jazzers will desire a less conical horn, such as a holton TR 181 and the Conn 112H. They seem to have a less dramatic conical effect from slide through the valve section. I like the Bach that I use because of the seemingly more conical effect. I can get a brighter sound by changing mouthpieces for jazz work, and use my more open set-up for chamber and orchestral work.

Either way, my experience with the above mentioned horns is that all of them play darker than any G bass I have tried.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: