Re: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Bradley on October 08, 2002 at 20:02:02:

In Reply to: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing posted by Mark on October 07, 2002 at 09:05:39:

I've been a very serious runner at various stages in my life, and I have to agree with Rick Denney. Being in decent shape is definitely an advantage, but running won't really help your tuba playing. This doesn't mean that it will hamper it, necessarily, but don't assume that you will be a virtuoso with your air just because you run. There are many very fit professional tubists (e.g. Sam Pilafian, Ron Bishop, Matt Good, etc.), but from what I know, they all do breathing exercises for their tuba playing. Another thing to consider is how many great tubists and breathing gurus aren't athletes and/or smoke. I agree with Mr. Denney as well that swimming is more effective if you're trying to use your exercise as a supplement to your tuba playing. Rafael Mendez was big on it, as is Charlie Vernon.
Remember, when you run, you breath with a lot of tension, especially if you're running hard. We all know that this is not what you want when you play your tuba. Try some breathing exercises- I'm sure you can get some from your teacher or online. You will probably find that, if anything, playing the tuba helps your running, not the other way around.

Dan B.

Follow Ups: