Re: Smelly Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rob bass on October 09, 2002 at 00:32:14:

In Reply to: Smelly Tuba posted by Al on October 08, 2002 at 11:07:03:

Is it the valve oil? Some of my new beginer band students end up useing the aunt, uncle, gramps, grams, old horn that has been stored in the closet for several years. So that great conn valve oil in the round bottle that has been in the case for a long time will smell as bad as old fuel oil and it reaks so bad when they open up there case. Poor kids, I sneak it out of there case and put in a new bottle of valve oil. And make a suggestion to the parents to get the horn cleaned and checked out by the repairman. Whew!!!! Even cigerette smoke stinks up the case and the horn. Poor kids I feel sorry for them to have to endure thier parents ignorance about cigertetes. It seems like at least two or three times a year a tuba should be cleaned out. Get the garden hose out and give it a cleaning and good rinse. Hope it isn't a dead rat inside never know what will come out when filled with water. slide the rubber hose on the lead pipe let er flow and watch what comes out the bell end. Good luck!!!!!!

Follow Ups: