Re: If money is no issue, which F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on October 09, 2002 at 02:09:04:

In Reply to: If money is no issue, which F? posted by buyer on October 07, 2002 at 18:09:58:

Nobody's mentioned it, but I really liked the Conn prototype at ITEC. It had a phenomenal low register, and a very easy high register (and the high register is my weakest). No, it didn't sound like an Alex. It had its own character, and it was a sound I really liked. For those of us that are very partial to those "American" fat-boy Yorky Jake-sounding horns, this F is a great piece of rig. It has a huge sound for an F, but it doesn't sound like an F with CC ambitions. It sounds like an F with a serious attitude. It's very nimble, and the tuning seemed to be very good throughout the horn as well. Perhaps it's because it's a 1st cousin to my 56-J, but this is the F I'll buy when I pay off the CC. The compliment between the two is unbelievable.

After that, I liked the Mir- 181, but I thought that the low register was stiffer than I want.

Yamaha 822 - OK, but...maybe it was because I played it right after the Conn, but I thought it was a little dry.

Hirsbrunners had a nice sound, but I felt that the ones I tried were more work than should be necessary.

Hated the PT's and MW's. Low registers were WAY more work than I want to deal with.

Bottom line: get the horn that gives you the sound you want with the least amount of effort. If you go into the audition having to work for the sound as well as the music, well, you're already one strike down in the count.

My 2 shekels

SD

Follow Ups: