Bruckner by St. Louis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 09, 2002 at 16:08:30:

Mike Sanders sent me a CD of the St. Louis Symphony playing Bruckner's 7th Symphony. This has been a revelation for me and I just have to mention it. I'm not normally Bruckner's biggest fan, but I think it's because I've heard his work performed really well too rarely.

It was recorded in 1997, at a public performance in Powell Hall. What a recording! The brass plays with enormous power, without being the usual Bruckner blastfest. This live recording has the flawless playing normally associated with studio recordings, but with the energy of live performance. It has completely overhauled my excitement about listening to Bruckner. Mike's playing on the big tuba (I'm assuming) may not be the approach some would take to Bruckner, but the sound was rich and lush and seemed to me wholly appropriate to the material. Hearing that sound took me back to my South Texas days when hearing Mike in person was within easy reach.

Hans Vonk conducted the work, and this seems a worthy legacy to him.

The CD was produced by the orchestra on their Arch label, and doesn't seem to be available in stores. But I see that it is available on the web, and the link is below. For Bruckner skeptics; get it.

Rick "who can only dream of a sound like that" Denney

Follow Ups: