Re: YBB641 ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on October 11, 2002 at 12:50:43:

In Reply to: YBB641 ? posted by De on October 10, 2002 at 20:18:10:

As others have said, the Yamaha 641 has more problems than just price. I have never played one that I liked. I feel the same way about Meinl_Weston monel 25s though and those have many more fans than the 641s. There are some rotary valve horns that I like, but this is not one of them. I find that the YBB-321 plays better, but I find it ergonomically uncomfortable.

It's interesting that people have commented on the lack on consistancy between samples of the Yamaha BBb tubas, when their euphoniums seem to be among the most consistant made. The YEP-321 is probably the most popular non-compensating euphonium, and with good reason. Even with the small shank leadpipe, I like the sound and playing feel of the YEP-321 better than any euphonium I have tried (although this is coming from a tuba player who rarely plays euphonium).

Even if the Yamaha 641 cost $3000 new I don't think that it would be competitive. I find the VMI 2103 and Cerveny 686 to be better playing horns for that price, although I think that the King is worth the $500 or so more. As I have said before, I play an old version of the new King, that is the one without the removeable valve section and leadpipe. I like it as much or better than any other BBb tuba that I have ever tried at any price, other than maybe the new Miraphone 1291. I had an old model King 2341, with the detachable bell, and the new one is much more open playing, especially in the low end. I have been told that the latest version of the 2341 has a little brighter sound, but I haven't had a chance to try one yet to compare it to mine.

Follow Ups: