Re: Re: Conn 52J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on October 11, 2002 at 14:25:24:

In Reply to: Re: Conn 52J posted by Mark F. on October 10, 2002 at 22:26:45:

Have they really gone up that much? When they first hit the market they were about $5500, but were nearly impossible to find, then when they flooded the market the price was around $6,300. They're great horns, but given the options horns up to $7,000, I think this almost takes the 52j out of the running of "what (new) horn should I buy"(assuming $7k is what they're actually going for now), or, to me at least, makes it less desirable. I'm curious as to how one could justify that much inflation in price over such a short period(2 years?), ESPECIALLY considering the deflation in the prices of horns built on the other side of the pond in that same period of time.

I've seen 2 of these sell used for less than $5,000, and one for just over $5,000, all three obviously not very old, and presumably in good shape. As far as I know, there's no shortage of new 52j's on the market(correct me if I'm wrong!), so I'm really curious as to what might have driven the cost up so much.

...not to say that the horn couldn't be worth $7k to the person sitting behind it.. it just seems odd, given our current "tuba economy".

Anthony

Follow Ups: