Re: SILVER RUDY MEINLS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on October 16, 2002 at 07:05:01:

In Reply to: SILVER RUDY MEINLS posted by :) on October 14, 2002 at 20:35:29:

Rudolf Meinl tubas, like other German tubas, are rarely seen in silver-plate because it is prohibitively expensive to have them plated in Germany, probably due to their environmental regulations, which are quite stiff. As for their lacquer, their instruments are primarily sold to orchestral players around the world, a number of which use them unlacquered, so lacquer is not the highest priority - the instrument itself, and its sound is.

By the way, while in Europe I visited the Hirsbrunner factory also, and asked Peter, Jr. why nearly all of their instruments were silver-plated. Again, it was a matter of simple economics. He told me that there was not a really good lacquering facility in Switzerland (probably due to their environmental regulations), and that it was cheaper for him to have them plated than to send them to Germany to be lacquered. Go figure.

No finish lasts forever, but all finishes benefit from diligent care. The Army Ground Forces Band in Atlanta bought a new Rudolf Meinl 5/4 F tuba in 1989, and I put Meguiar's Car Wax on it within the first week of use. It still has an outstanding finish on it, nearly 13 years later, and not because of any lack of use. I played and toured with that horn from New England to Florida, and it has had plenty of use since. I could get a prettier finish on a new Jupiter, but that doesn't mean I'd want to play one. . .
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: