Re: Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 BBb - Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on October 21, 2002 at 23:57:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 BBb - Update posted by js on October 21, 2002 at 13:27:42:

Joe and Frank,

You've brought up a good point Joe..one that I hinted at when I pointed out what Keating has already said about the big MW Falfner. Tony Clements, another widely respected tubist, has a very high opinion of the big Gronitz horns.

I think Keating Johnson said it very nicely in a recent e-mail when he candidly said that his big Holton is something special, and so is his new MW Falfner.

As I've learned, some of the big Holtons are wonderful indeed. Mine's turned out to be better than I could have ever hoped. But does that mean it's some sort of mthical creature, the likes of which will never be seen again? Of course not.

If one is restoring an old Holton, and counting on it playing better by the end of the process...well, that seems risky. And, it's certainly more expensive than either the Gronitz or the Falfner, if you're talking about getting it into apples for apples condition.

In the case of my horn, there was something fundamental in the instrument that spoke to me, even in it's wounded condition. Do I believe for one second that I couldn't have found another fantastic large BBb tuba if I kept looking? Of course not. It just would have been fantastic in different ways.

Unfortunately, one soul mate is all I can afford at the moment.

There's nothing at all "smart ass" about your comment. You can bet the option of buying a Gronitz crossed my mind before I wrote the check for my Holton. If there had been one in the states to play at the time, who knows?

Thing worked out ok, though!

Frank, keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Tony E

Follow Ups: