Re: Re: Re: Re: VHS sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GC on October 25, 2002 at 10:19:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: VHS sound posted by TC on October 24, 2002 at 13:38:25:

As soon as the first VHS machines came on the market, every single salesperson I talked to who sold in a store that did not also sell Beta told me that Beta was doomed and that VHS was the superior format. This was so pervasive and aggressively done that I believe that it was a deliberate marketing ploy done to sabotage Beta sales in favor of VHS, and that it was suggested by the manufacturers of VHS. Fairly soon, if you mentioned Beta to people who were researching to buy a machine, they began to repeat the predctions of its imminent doom.

I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but this was done so blatantly, began all at once, and was done so pervasively that I have to believe that it was deliberate. The longer taping time for VHS (6 hr. vs. 4 1/2 hr.) was probably the major factor in its ascendency, but the deliberate naysaying of what was actually the superior technology doomed Beta. It's a same that they don't apply that same salesmanship to SuperVHS.

Follow Ups: