Re: Re: Re: Re: Conductor vs. Musician salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 25, 2002 at 13:24:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Conductor vs. Musician salaries posted by Alex C on October 25, 2002 at 12:38:23:

The ones I have played under have been so, mostly.

I will not elaborate on the exception, but I have a full understanding, why that person was refused a tenure as musical director.

I here only talk about members of our pro conductors' guild.

Some of our best conductors have been educated in Finland and in London. Our own education of conductors is good but for one matter. The students do not get as much rehearsal time in front of pro orchestras, as do the students in Helsinki and London.

Every third year our RSO arranges the Nikolai Malko competition for young conductors. About 30 aspirants each time. The ones, that prove themselves, traditionally are getting a series of job offers from our provincial orchestras. At the very least that gives them some chances to get experiences. Some of them are re-invited regularly. In one case a competition winner was asked to take the position as resident conductor/musical director after having making himself liked by musicians and the concert public. That certainly helped his international career.

I usually follow the TV reports from these competitions. The candidates are selected from résumés of education and previous experiences. Normally even the candidates not passing on to the 2nd round do not make fools of themselves. But I have a memory from decades back, that will never let me forget a candidate of the maybe most prestigious US school. I never understood how that person ever had been allowed into that fine school. As an absurd comedy act maybe. But as a conductor? No cursing and swearing, just plain lack of talent.

One of the benefits of the Danish pro orchestras is, that they now are quite good. Allowing foreign musicians to a degree, where communication almost is a problem especially in the string sections (and all Danish musicians understand German and English, and to some degree French). And we have no problems with having foreign director. On the other hand we have had Danes working very much in other European countries. That gives a very wide spectre of inspirations.

Klaus

Follow Ups: