Finding an Eefer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Goosen on October 28, 2002 at 22:20:30:

Last week (if memory serves right), I wrote a post asking about the Besson 983 and its use as a general horn. Now, unfortunately, I'm stuck in a place with very little horns to try out (Washington state), so I'm mainly stuck with "asking around". Well, given the general feedback on the 983, I came to the conclusion that it would not suit my needs to be able to play in larger ensembles. With that in mind, I came to a few other solutions:

1. Wilson 3400
2. Nirschl Eb
3. MW 2141

For those of you who have played them, how do they "feel" and play throughout the extreme registers? I'm hoping to be able to test one out, assuming they'll have a regional ITEC up here this year (can someone say "section road trip"?). I know the former two are fairly expensive, but I'm getting a "good-paying" job as soon as I get my license (in a couple of months). Anything would be better than the 641 I play on now--heck, most of these things look to be about the same price as the school-owned POS BBb. Also, another question for those who own the Wilson: What is the spare parts kit offered with the 3400? All I know is that Brasswind has a good deal with it listed (AT) $7,000. Anywho, I look forward to all responses, and I've included my e-mail this time around for any other comments/questions.

Regards,

Matt "Formerly known as SkyviewTuba and who originally was a big enough brat to try to get his parents to buy his horn for him" Goosen

P.S. Yeah, it's not nearly half as good as the ones Mr. Denney comes up with...but it gets the point across...

Follow Ups: