Re: Help me Decide on a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on October 29, 2002 at 09:02:25:

In Reply to: Help me Decide on a Tuba posted by Thomas on October 28, 2002 at 17:54:18:

Design and manufacturing quality is of similar, high, quality on both of them, but, as with any tuba purchase, it is imperative that you try them both before spending this amount of money. This is not just for sound or playability, but ergonomics. I tried the Willson 3100, 3050, and 3400 and didn't find any of them comfortable to hold and play for any period of time. Just because this is true for me doesn't mean that it won't fit you like a glove. I haven't played the PT, so can't comment much other than to say that it has gotten consistantly high ratings from people on this board.

My personal preference is to try to avoid buying anything where there is a single source supplier, like the PTs and Hirsbrunners in this country. That doesn't mean that they aren't great horns, but I prefer to have some leverage in a buying situation. Even so, sometimes it's worth dealing with the negatives of a single source because the product is so great. Only you can decide if that is true in this case.

Follow Ups: