Re: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick F. on October 30, 2002 at 15:22:12:

In Reply to: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please posted by Euph Teacher on October 30, 2002 at 12:24:03:

First, I should say that I'm an amateur.

I use 'jaw vibrato' and the speed and width depends on the music I'm playing. Some say 5 to 6 beats per minute is a good target. I don't use vibrato all the time as a personal preference. I personally don't care for the way some of the British Brass Bands (cornets in particular) use vibrato on all notes -- all the time. Just not my taste. They're all fantastic players just the same.

My favorite euphoniumist for tone and vibrato use is Riki McDonnell. He has a wide vibrato but adds it and takes it off for the particular piece. "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" on his CD, "Euphonium Songbook" comes to mind. Toward the end of the piece, he plays the last three notes just a little flat... comes up to pitch... then adds the vibrato. Nice touch.

When I get lessons it's from Fred Dart (euph with the USAF band back in the 50's) who uses the 'air stream' vibrato. I tried it and it doesn't work for me but it sure works for Fred.

FWIW.

Rick F.

Follow Ups: