Re: String Bass vs. Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 31, 2002 at 11:41:41:

In Reply to: String Bass vs. Tuba posted by Volker on October 31, 2002 at 05:30:47:

I'm going to p-off some folks, but I think in a given large city there will be far more available-for-hire string bass players that can sight-read effectively and play 99.9% of the page correctly than tuba players:

1/ Yes, there are more and more extraordinary tuba players all the time - many of whom can play circles around the "average" string bass player.

2/ I believe that once "average" college, professional, and serious amateur tuba players' reading technique, playing technique, and versatility equals that of the "average" equivalent bass players, tubas will be considered more often for more types of gigs.*
*Here's a good example: I showed up one time to play Barnum & Bailey. The guy who booked me didn't mention the instrument, so I assumed TUBA and showed up with my tuba. Well over 95% of the music was TUBA music - gallops, marches, etc. The bandleader saw the tuba before the rehearsal and said, "OH NO man, we need a BASS." I ran home and got my electric bass and played all of those "95 m.p.h." runs on string bass (do-able, but awkward). Yes, even the most recognized CIRCUS BAND in the WORLD had and anti-tuba bias. I'm guessing from frustration with poor reading/technique.

Follow Ups: