Re: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat on October 31, 2002 at 14:30:05:

In Reply to: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please posted by Euph Teacher on October 30, 2002 at 12:24:03:

I have read through a number of the replies to this post and have come to the same conclusion I usualy do on this subject matter. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how they do it, or how anyone else does it. I think we all know when we hear it and it sounds good but we're not sure why.

I have played saxaphone for years (don't shoot me, I now play tuba/baritone) and have been told by many people that my vibrato is absolutly beautiful. I don't use it on every note. It's not always the same speed. Sometimes I use it primarily at the end of the note. Some times I will let it slip in and out and back in on a particularlily long note. There are many affects you can do with it.

I believe the principle is the same with any instrument you use it on. My belief is that it needs to be some of several things. A slight change in the pitch, a slight change in the volume, a variance in the timbre, and a very good amount of control over what you want it to do at any one time.

I don't know what my secret is for sure, but I believe it comes mostly from the change in quality. It's a little from the jaw, almost none from the diaphram, and a lot from way down deep in the throat with an opening and closing that varies the timbre. I have done it for soo long I don't even think about it any more. I know after I have played with someone long enough I can match theirs with some concentration. It sounds a little freaky when you do this.

I know on the negative side that one thing it should not be or sound like is "mechanical". It should be interesting and perhaps almost a little erie.

I am working on the tuba/baritone vibrato thing. I still have to concentrate on the sound I'm making to get it to sound good. I don't know what method or combination is going to work best but it seems that about the same process with a little more from the jaw sounds good to me. To me, any instrument sounds better with some vibrato in the right places.

Pat "Someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about, but firmly believes the quality of sond produced by most instruments is mearly an extension of the player and begins before the air ever reaches the horn."

Follow Ups: