Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: String Bass vs. Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on November 10, 2002 at 01:36:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: String Bass vs. Tuba posted by Frederick J. Young on November 09, 2002 at 22:39:06:

Interesting. I understand your point - but I most respectfully disagree with it.

I believe that composers write music intending it to be performed on the instrument specified, and intend for it to be listened to by humans.

If composers wanted the "low A three lines below the staff" to consist of mostly fundamental, then he is making a big mistake by asking for the note to be played by a tuba - he should specify "synthesizer" instead.

Instead, I think that most composers are satisfied that humans with normal hearing will listen to the note produced by the tuba and *perceive* it as being the "low A three lines below the staff", even if a spectral analyzer tells them that it is something different.

When a *composer* listens to his piece played on a tuba and complains, then I'll be inclined to consider the complaint seriously. As long it's only the machines which are upset about the lack of fundamental in this frequency range, I'm not inclined to worry too much about it

Follow Ups: