Re: Re: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ross on October 02, 2003 at 18:58:30:

In Reply to: Re: Differences in All-State Tryouts by Stat posted by Ralph on October 02, 2003 at 17:25:00:

Texas also has all-state for smaller schools (1A,2A,3A), sponsored by the ATSSB (Small school bands). The 4A/5A state groups are sponsored by TMEA.

Maybe the process has changed since I was involved, but in my day, I think the all-region tryouts were actually a UIL-sponsored event. There were 3 levels of auditions, all "live" : Regional, Area, and State. The top 20-25% of the all-region members automatically were considered "All-Area", and at the area auditions, the top ones advanced as "All-State" band members. At the all-state clinic/convention, we had to audition on the concert music for placement into chairs for the two all-state bands. There were only 5 "areas" back then, with 2 euphoniums selected from each area.

The state auditions were kind of weird; we all sat in a circle in the audition room, watching each other take turns playing the excerpts. Luckily, I made it in the upper band (last chair) and got to sit pretty close to the first chair tuba, some kid named Sumner Erickson. He was pretty good...

RK

Follow Ups: