Interesting "repair" experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wilber (not really) on October 05, 2003 at 09:59:52:

Not too long ago I had something "restored". It's a somewhat rare "something". I sent it to a repairer who was said to specialize in such things. They said it would take about 2 weeks. After 4 weeks I called and asked about the repair. The repairer said he's real busy. After about 5 weeks I heard thru the grapevine (sometimes called "tubenet") that if you wanted a copy of a "something" like the one I sent to this repairer, this repairer could make a makeshift copy for you. After six weeks I called and asked about the "something". The repairer misunderstood my call, had forgotten who I was and offered to sell me a makeshift copy of my own "something"! I then reminded him what I had sent to him to "restore". Of course, dead silence on the other end of the phone. "It'll be ready by the end of the week" was the response. I did receive the "something" in about a week (with a dent in it, as it was packed poorly). Aside from the dent, it looked good and played pretty much the way it did before the work was done (in this case, a good thing).

With all this being said two things really come to mind. First, I wouldn't have minded the timing at all if the repairer was up front with me and said he'd like to keep the "something" for a while to try and make some copies. Second, I am very surprised by this person's behavior at the end of the transaction and and their behavior since. I would have used this person's services again but his lack of integrity is just amazing.

I have and will soon be doing similar work myself. I also know dealing with the public is difficult. Some service people acquire an great disrespect for the general public and feel it justifies poorly done work and less than honest business practices.

This a small community and you don't have to be everyones buddy, but you will have to have some basic understanding of business ethics and understand that your customers aren't a bunch of idiots (even though they can be "difficult". I feel in my specific case I was pretty damn patient) and will know when you are taking advantage of their patronage and in my case, generosity.

There are a couple of really fine repairers on this board (and some business folks that this open letter applies to!) so, we do have some really great resources. I hope this might make some people think.

Treat your repairer with the respect he/she deserves. They are an important part of the music making process and can make a huge difference! Repairer, treat your customers as you would have them treat you.

Kindergarten stuff, huh?

Wilber

Follow Ups: