Re: Re: Re: tuba stands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on October 05, 2003 at 22:46:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tuba stands posted by Picture on October 03, 2003 at 18:13:07:

We're scanning some old photos, and one shows me with the Martin when I played it at the Gaslight Club in NYC back in the 1970s. I'll get it to you when it's done.

It's actually the most efficient, sound per pound tuba I have ever played. Yet, it is not as big as the Holtons, Yorks, and monster Conns. The core of sound is huge. Best circus & concert band tuba ever made, and great in dance band rythym sections. Easy-blowing with an unending "bottom". Johnny Evans played one, Bill Pruyn played one, Country Washburn played one, and Marty Erickson played one in the Navy Band. I wish I had found mine before I toured with Paul Lavalle - coulda used it!

Unfortunately, it gets kind of faint in the top end, and the bell front isn't acceptable in an orchestra these days, so I use my new King for just about everything now.

I teaching privately now (finally have the time for it), and have been grumbling about putting up a site - with the old photos on it - Ed Sullivan Show, Your Father's Mustache, Red Garter, Disney, Ringling, Orlando Concert Band, and others. A trip down Memory Lane - without Joe Franklin.

MH

Follow Ups: