Re: French Horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on October 06, 2003 at 18:19:57:

In Reply to: French Horns posted by Potential Doubler on October 06, 2003 at 11:46:05:

Since I'm definitely a doubler (main instrument is still horn altho I'm not playing it right now)....the yahoo horn list is the best one. However, you may find it less informative than this BBS; horn pros are not inclined to try to give lessons over the internet. There is another large horn list, but it tends to have very abusive language, and there is one individual who dominates it and is a huge, rude, know-it-all. The yahoo list is moderated and quite fun.

As for buying equipment: stay away from anything at all that was made in China, period. No matter how cheap; it will be a loss of money in the end.

I would buy a used double horn and get a decent one, because after you play a couple years you may want to upgrade. A decent one is much easier to re-sell, and you also may find you like the original one you bought, too.

Common brands and models that should be easy to re-sell:
Holton 179 (the 379 is a student model), 188, 181, 281. I think the ones starting with a "2" are screw bell models.

Conn 8D, 10D. Also available in screw bell models.

Yamaha 667, 668. I really like the 668 myself, considered getting one recently.

More upscale brands are Paxman, Alexander, Schmid, Lawson...but they will cost quite a bit more, even used. A new one of the above will cost quite a bit more than an old Conn 8D, because they are easier to play.

As for mouthpieces, a standard one to start with is the Holton-Farkas MC; the MDC is narrower cup than average. Since mouthpieces are cheaper than horns, I would not worry as much about the mouthpiece, except don't go with a Bach or other off-brand. (on horn, that is an off brand, despite not being so on tuba.) There are a zillion kinds of mouthpieces for horn just there are for tuba.

Get a skilled player to pre-test the horn you want to buy, to make sure it is on pitch, tuneable (some Conns have had recent problems making them impossible to tune) and general overall fitness for playing.

I haven't bought a brand new instrument yet, and I've done very well with quality because I've been careful with play testing and recommendations from pros, when I have bought used ones.

Welcome to the horn world!!

Follow Ups: